
I've always wanted to learn how to surf and be one of those cool dudes that I see on TV and perhaps...meet someone there...so we hit Siargao...
Siargao is the surfing capital of the Philippines and it has gained popularity these past few years when it landed as one of the Top Surfing Destinations of the World....Since Siargao is just a nearby island to Leyte, we thought that it would be easier to go there from Sogod. Little did I know that the island is very remote and hard to reach....we even got stranded in Surigao City...
It took a gruesome amount of time just to reach our destination and I found out the Siargao is a big island composed of many municipalities. Fortunately, the locals were sooo kind (typical Filipino trait) and advised us where to go, how to go, and where to stay. GL or General Luna is the name of the municipality where most surfers go. This is the home to Cloud 9.
Once we arrived there, we searched for a place to stay and we have decided to stay in Patrick's on the Beach. It is owned by a German guy who married to a local Filipina and their son is named Patrick.
The surfboard rental fees are staggering high around $10 (Php 450 per half day) or $20 (Php 900 a whole day). Since the tutorial costs around $10 per hour, we have decided to use our charm with the locals to get a FREE TUTORIAL!!! ooooohhhh...i just love freebies!To my surprise, Siargao does not offer surfing only, you can also do a lot of watersports and beachineering activities like kayaking, fishing, collecting shells, island hopping and spelunking.
I also love the food in Patrick's on the Beach. They cook ala carte and the ingredients are fresh...I was overwhelmed...I love, love, love to eat!
I'll be back for sure....:)
Wish you were here!!!!
Patrick's on the Beach
Siargao Island
Gen. Luna, Surigao del norte , Philippines
Mobile : (63) 920 402-4356 / (63) 929-345-5566
I've also met and talked with the friendly couply Gerry and Susan Degan of Sagana Resort in Cloud 9 and I think their place is also highly recommended.
Sagana Resort
Cloud 9, General Luna
Siargao Island, Surigao del norte
Philippines
sagana@cloud9surf.com
www.cloud9surf.com
Phone : +63 (0) 919 8095769 Gerry Degan
If unavailable, please call :
Phone : +63 (0)928 960 7745 Susan Brandstetter
Japanese speaker Ph + 63 (0)9215395485 Naoki Nakata
English/Filipino speaker Ph +63 (0) 9287942865 Edna Solloso
Friday, April 25, 2008
Surfing Siargao
Labels: my travels
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Hi
You have a lovely blog. I don't know how to surf but I do scuba dive though..
Do they have it over there?
Zacky
zacky, philippines is one of the best scuba diving spots in the world...anybody who's into scuba diving knows about philippines...i love to try scuba diving next time...but i have to start to learn little by little...hope u can come here and me and my friends will be happy to show you around
Post a Comment